Tuesday, September 20, 2005

A Word for the Season: diaspora

The term diaspora (Ancient Greek διασπορά, a scattering or sowing of seeds) is used (without capitalization) to refer to any people or ethnic population forced or induced to leave their traditional ethnic homelands, being dispersed throughout other parts of the world, and the ensuing developments in their dispersal and culture.

I was in a meeting yesterday and someone mentioend the diaspora as a parallel to a current affair. I realized that this is what I have been thinking of lately, in relation to myself and many of my family and friends. Previously we had been clustered in one spiritual community.... what a lot of talent clustered in one space :-) More recently, due to variuous circumstances (which has felt like persectution to some!) we have been scattered in various spiritual communities, tho many of us remain friends and are in frequent contact. I think this could be a good thing...over the long haul. It is my hope and prayer that the scattering, the diaspora, will be a sowing of seeds that will cause new growth in many places while at the same time bringing many new shoots together to form a field.

That's my positive thought to end the day, and in fact to end the Summer. In 32 minutes it will officially be Fall.
Sleep well.

1 Comments:

Blogger Chris TerryNelson said...

Hey Carol,
Yeah, I've often referred to myself and "the group" this way. Glad to hear it suits your ear fancy too. ;-)

7:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home