Thursday, August 04, 2005

August Harpers is a MUST Read

Ok folks. I went to Hastings today, bought the new August Harpers and sat on the common reading it. The article, "The Christian Paradox; How a Christian Nation Gets Jesus Wrong" is an absolute MUST read. Not only is it a well written essay by a Christian insider critiquing "Christian" America, the Religious Right and the "me me me" mega church movement, it is extremely well written and even humorous. Time and time again I laughed out loud as I read, right there on the Amherst Town Common. I just now read it aloud to Baird and we were dying laughing. It's straight to the heart of the issue; Jesus says to love your neighbor (ie the poor, needy, downcast), share not hoard, sell all and follow. The author leaves little or no room to wriggle; the unsuspecting reader is pinned. If you can deal with spending $6.50, go out and buy it (Harpers deserves our business for printing this radical stuff!). If the $ is not there, go to a library...or talk to me. I am going to write Harpers for permision to reprint so I can mass distribute this one...... hopefully they won't take a month to answer - or say NO WAY.

2 Comments:

Blogger greenezo said...

i gotta read that sounds great!

10:50 PM  
Blogger Carol Soules said...

I mailed it to you with the UMass stuff today. You should get it Monday. :-)

8:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home